Here we have given precis writing practice for you. These are easy and short passages for Precis practice online.
Precis Writing Practice: Test 03
Write the precis of the following passage:
When we survey our lives and efforts we soon observe that almost the whole of our actions and desires are bound up with the existence of other human beings. We notice that the whole of nature resembles that of social animals. We eat food that others have produced, wear clothes that others have made, and live in houses that others have built.
The greater part of our knowledge and beliefs has been passed on to us by other people through the medium of a language that others have created. Without language and mental capacities, we would have been poor, indeed comparable to higher animals. We have, therefore, to admit that we owe our principal knowledge over the least to the fact of living in human society.
The individual if left alone from birth would remain primitive and beast-like in his thoughts and feelings to a degree that we can hardly imagine. The individual is what he is and has the significance that he has, not much in virtue of individuality, but rather as a member of a great human community, which directs his material and spiritual existence from the cradle to grave. (190 words)
Main Points of the Passage
- Our existence as human beings is bound up with other human beings.
- We eat food produced by others, wear clothes others have made, and live in houses constructed by others. Similarly, we acquire knowledge through the medium of a language that others have created.
- Human beings are human beings only because of human society.
- If a human being is isolated from society at birth, he would remain a beast.
- The individual has significance, not by virtue of his individuality, but rather as a member of a human community.
Solution of the Passage
Being social animals, human beings are dependent on one another for their needs and desires. They use food, clothes, and houses that are made by others. Similarly, they owe their knowledge and beliefs to language developed by others. If a newborn is separated from other human beings, he will grow up as a beast. In short, an individual has significance only because he/she is a member of the human community. (70 words)
- Man: A social animal
- No man is an Island
- Individual and Society
Relevant to this post:
- English (Precis & Writing) Notes & Study Material
- 10 Golden Rules of Precis Writing
- Tips and Tricks for Writing a Good Scoring Precis