Here you will find the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2018 in PDF.
Transgender people constitute one of the most marginalized communities in the country. They face problems ranging from social exclusion to discrimination, lack of education facilities, unemployment, lack of medical facilities, and so on.
The Supreme Court of Pakistan passed a ruling in 2009 stating that no Pakistani laws provide room to disenfranchise “eunuchs, from their fundamental rights.
Though Article 25 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan guarantees to all citizens equality before the law, clause (1) of Article 26 and clause (1) of Article 27, inter alia prohibit, in explicit terms, discrimination on the basis of sex. Article 19 ensures freedom of speech and expression to all citizens, yet the discrimination and atrocities against Transgender Persons continue to take place.
Objectives of this Act
The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2018 seeks to:
- define a Transgender Person;
- prohibit discrimination against transgender persons;
- confer right upon Transgender persons to be recognized as such, and a right to self-perceived gender identity;
- provide that no establishment shall discriminate against Transgender Persons in matters relating to employment, recruitment, promotion, education, and other related issues; and
- provide for welfare measures by the Government for Transgender Persons.
Download this Act, in PDF format.