The Punjab Local Government Ordinance, 2001
It’s an ORDINANCE to reconstruct and regulate the local governments in the Province of Punjab.
WHEREAS it is expedient to devolve political power and decentralize administrative and financial authority to accountable local governments for good governance, effective delivery of services, and transparent decision making through institutionalized participation of the people at the grass-roots level;
AND WHEREAS the Provincial Assembly of Punjab is dissolved and the Governor is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
AND WHEREAS under Article 4 of the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No. 9 of 1999, as amended by the Chief Executive Order No. 11 of 2000, the Governor of a Province may issue and promulgate an Ordinance;
NOW, THEREFORE, in the exercise of the aforesaid powers and all other powers enabling him in that behalf, the Governor of Punjab, is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:
1. Short title, extent, and commencement.-(1) This Ordinance may be called the Punjab Local Government Ordinance, 2001.
(2) It extends to the whole of the Province of Punjab other than the areas notified as cantonments under the Cantonments Act, 1924 (II of 1924), 1 [or the Cantonments Ordinance, 2002 (CXXXVIII of 2002)] in relation to the matters covered [thereunder].
(3) It shall come into force on the fourteenth day of August 2001, except the provisions as contained in section 39 (k), Chapter XVII and section 196 (1) (ii) of Chapter XIX which shall come into force on such date or dates as the Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, declare. Provided that the Order of the Governor in section-120-D (6) shall remain in force as notified.
You can download the Punjab Local Government Ordinance, 2001.
You may also like these:
- All other Laws
- Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Act, 1974 Explained in Detail
- Suit Against Government or Public Office Holder
- Effects of Court Case on Government Job and Career
- How to Get Succession Certificate from NADRA