This Punjab Tenancy Act, 1887 is an Act to amend the law relating to the tenancy of land in the Punjab. The Punjab is the biggest province as far as population is concern. So, there must be a strong laws for maintaining relationship between Tenancy and landlord in Punjab. In this regard, this act was enacted.
WHEREAS it is expedient to amend the law relating to the tenancy of land in the Punjab;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
Punjab Tenancy Act, 1887 Highlights
1. Title, extent and commencement.– (1) This Act may be called the Punjab Tenancy Act, 1887.
(2) It extends to the whole of the Punjab; and
(3) It shall come into force on such day as the [Provincial Government], by notification, appoint in this behalf.
2. Power to make rules in anticipation of commencement. [Repealed by the Repealing
and Amending Act, 1891 (XII of 1891).]
3. Repeal. [Repealed by the Repealing and Amending Act, 1891 (XII of 1891)].
4. Definitions.– In this Act, unless there is something repugnant in the subject or context-
(1) “land” means land which is not occupied as the site of any building in a town or village and is occupied or has been let for agricultural purposes or for purposes subservient to agriculture or for pasture, and includes the sites of buildings and other structures on such land:
(1-A) “Government” shall, unless the context otherwise provides, means the Provincial
(2) “pay”, with its grammatical variations and cognate expressions, includes, when used
with reference to rent, “deliver” and “render”, with their grammatical variations and cognate expressions:
(3) “rent” means whatever is payable to a land-lord in money, kind or service by a
tenant on account of the use or occupation of land held by him; [but it shall not include any cess, village cess or other contribution or due or any free personal service]:
(4) “arrears of rent” means rent which remains unpaid after the date on which it becomes payable:
You can download the Punjab Tenancy Act, 1887.
You may also like these: