This is a CSS Exam Guide for beginners for CSS 2022. Central Superior Service (CSS) is the biggest exam held in Pakistan. Perhaps if we say that it is presumed to be the most difficult examination that Federal Public Service Commission (FPSC) conducts every year. CSS is held to select the candidate for different occupational groups for the Federal Government. The selected candidates were initially posted in BPS-17 under various departments of Pakistan. So, here is a complete CSS Exam Guide for beginners for CSS 2022 that every beginner should read before appearing in the CSS Examination.
The FPSC also announced to held Screening Test from CSS 2022 to onwards to scrutinize the candidates. You can view the syllabus for Screening test here.
This CSS Exam Guide is for beginners for CSS 2022. This guide will clear the following concepts:
1. Date, Time, and Place to Conduct Examination and Interview
2. Different Occupational Groups
3. Method to Apply
4. Parts of CSS Examination
5. Eligibility Criteria
7. Age Relaxation Procedure
8. Common Mistakes you should avoid
9. Other Relevant Things for CSS 2022 Examination
Date, Time, and Place to Conduct CSS Exam & Interview
The FPSC gives a public notice/advertisement for the CSS examination 2022 after the results of MCQs Based Preliminary Test every year.
All candidates who have qualified MCQ Based Preliminary Test (MPT) for CSS 2022 and intend to appear in the written part of the CSS Competitive Examination, 2022 may furnish an online application to FPSC until 18th March 2022.
The written part of CSS Written Competitive Examination-2022 will be held w.e.f. 12th May 2022 (Thursday).
The Examination will be held in 20 Cities where MPT was held. However, if there are not sufficient candidates in a city, they will be accommodated at another nearest center/city.
The number of vacancies to be filled on the basis of CSS Written Competitive Examination-2022 will be announced later.
Click here to apply online for CSS 2022.
FPSC will conduct CSS written Examination in these 23 cities of Pakistan:
- D. I. Khan
- D. G. Khan
The FPSC conducts interviews for CSS in these 05 major cities of Pakistan:
Different Occupational Groups
The recruitment through CSS Exam will be for these 12 Federal Government departments:
- Pakistan Administrative Services
- Foreign Service of Pakistan
- Police Service of Pakistan
- Pakistan Audit and Accounts Service
- Commerce and Trade Services
- Customs and Excise Services
- Office Management Group
- Income Tax Group
- Information Group
- Military Lands and Cantonments Groups
- Postal Services Group
- Railways Group
Those candidates who are selected in CSS Examination are posted in these groups according to their marks and merit number. The group selection which is made by the candidate himself will also be considered during posting. But merit number is always considered more than the candidate’s personal occupational group selection.
Method to Apply for CSS 2022
The advertisement for CSS Exam, reflecting dates, is published in all newspapers in September each year.
If you want to apply then you must deposit the exam fee of Rs. 2200/- in the nearest Govt. Treasury / State Bank of Pakistan / National Bank of Pakistan under the account head C02101-Organs of State Exam fee on the given challan paper which can be downloaded by clicking here or from the FPSC official website.
Submit an online application to FPSC up till 18th March 2022 available at the FPSC website. Choose optional subjects in terms of Appendix-I of CSS Rules, 2019. Choose Examination Centre carefully. Subsequent changes in optional subjects and Examination Centre will not be allowed.
After that, you must dispatch a Duly signed hardcopy of the online application along with the original Treasury Receipt and attested copies of Matric certificate, Intermediate certificate, Graduation certificate, degrees, CNIC, domicile, etc and four photographs must reach FPSC before 28th March 2022. It is mostly sent within 10 days after the closing date for applying.
The admission certificate would be made available on the website by 20th April 2022. No separate intimation through the post will be sent to candidates.
Parts of CSS Exam
The CSS Examination is divided into the following 4 parts:
- Written Examination (1200 Marks)
- Medical Examination
- Psychological Test
- Viva Voce (300 Marks)
The CSS Written examination has 12 subjects. Out of these 12 subjects, 6 subjects are compulsory which are English, Grammar, General Science & Ability, Pakistan Study, Pakistan Current Affairs, and Islamic Study. The other 6 subjects are optional which you can choose from this Revised CSS Examination Syllabus.
You have to get a minimum of 40 percent marks in compulsory and 33 percent marks in optional subjects and 50% aggregate marks to qualify in the written part of the CSS Examination.
The written pass candidates will be then shortlisted for Medical, Psychology, and Viva-voce.
If you want to get your paper re-check then the rechecking fee is Rs. 500 per paper.
There is a maximum of 3 chances that you can avail yourself of in this CSS Examination.
Eligibility Criteria for CSS 2022
You must fulfill the following eligibility criteria for appearing in CSS Examination.
Nationality Criteria: You must be a citizen of Pakistan or a permanent resident of the state of Azad Jammu and Kashmir.
Educational Criteria for CSS
According to CSS Rules and Regulations for CSS Examination 2022:
- You must have a minimum Bachelor’s Degree with at least 2nd division from a university of Pakistan or equivalent qualification from a foreign university recognized by HEC.
- If you have the 3rd division in your Bachelor’s degree then you can only apply if you have a higher division in your Master’s degree.
Age for CSS Examination
The minimum age for appearing in the CSS Examination is 21 years and the maximum age is 30 years. Two years age relaxation is admissible to categories specified in Rule-6
of CSS Competitive Examination Rules, 2019 available on the FPSC website.
The age is calculated on 31 December of the year. Suppose you are applying in CSS 2022 then on 31 December 2021 you must not be more than 30 years or less than 21 years.
Age Relaxation Criteria
The age limit is relaxed by 2 years (32 years) if the candidate is currently serving as a Federal or Provincial government employee.
According to CSS Rules, the following candidates can also avail of age relaxation if:
- Candidates currently serving as government employees and have remained in the same service for at least 2 years. This age relaxation will be accorded to a candidate on the provision of a Departmental Permission Certificate. Employees from Banks, WAPDA, Regulatory Authorities, and Autonomous bodies are not entitled to age relaxation.
- Candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes and Buddhist Community subject to provision of issued by DCO/Political Agent/District Magistrate.
- Candidates belonging to recognized Tribes who are permanent residents of the areas – Baluchistan, Tribal Areas of D.I.Khan and Peshawar Divisions (including former Frontier States of Dir, Swat, Chitral, and Amb, Former excluded (Baluch) area forming part of the Dera Ghazi Khan and Rajanpur Districts, Former Tribal Areas of Mardan and Hazara Divisions, Upper Tanawal Area of Hazara Division. The student will have to provide a certificate issued by DCO/Political Agent/District Magistrate.
- Candidates belonging to Azad Kashmir Territory subject to provision of a certificate issued by Kashmir Affairs Division; Gilgit- Baltistan including Gilgit, Diamir, Baltistan, Ghizar, and Ghanche; subject to the provision of a certificate issued by DCO/Political Agent/District Magistrate.
- Candidates who are disabled namely, physically impaired, hearing/speech impaired (deaf &dumb), and visually impaired (blind), are subject to the submission of a certificate of disability issued by the competent authority designated for the purpose by the Federal/ Provincial Government.
Common Mistakes you Should Avoid in CSS
Some of the common mistakes that all the applicants should avoid in CSS are given below:
- Waiting for the coming of the last date by saying “still a lot of time remaining in the last date”. You should apply as soon as possible.
- Try to hide their availed chances which later on found out by the FPSC and your candidature will be canceled.
- A very common problem is, not sending the Hard copy of the online submitted form within 10 days of your online application submission.
- Take only 1 or 2 papers just to check your ability. You must note that if you appear in 1 paper of CSS Examination or if you render a black answer sheet then your chances will be considered as consumed. So, try to give all the papers if not then do not appear in any papers.
- You must examine yourself medically before appearing in the CSS Examination.
Other Relevant Things for CSS 2022 Examination
These are some of the other relevant and important things regarding CSS 2022:
1. PUBLIC NOTICE – Written CSS Competitive Examination-2022
2. Challan form for CSS CE-2022
3. Certificate to be produced by the Candidate belonging to scheduled caste/Buddhist Community, Annex-A
4. Certificate to be produced by the Candidate belonging to the Tribal Areas, Annex-B
5. Certificate to be produced by the Candidate from the Kashmir Affairs Division Government of Pakistan, Annex-C
6. Certificate to be produced by the Candidate belonging to the minority, Annex-D
7. Departmental Permission Certificate For Use Of Government Servants, Annex-E
CSS Examination is the most prestigious examination in Pakistan. You must prepare well before appearing in this competitive examination. Going without preparation will cost a very precious attempt that you will not find again. Also, you should understand all the rules and regulations of this examination which will be helpful for you in this journey. I hope this CSS 2022 Guide will help you in understanding CSS Examination and its all procedures, rules, and regulations. If still, you have any questions then please ask your question in the comments section below.
You also like this: